Happy Labor Day! I cannot think of a better way to celebrate than by enjoying some delicious homemade ice cream!! This Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is the perfect summer send-off recipe. It is creamy, minty, and sweet despite the absence of dairy and sugar!
An ice cream maker is needed for this recipe, so make sure to freeze your freezer bowl the night before making this! Also, the ice cream mixture needs to chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours prior to churning, so plan ahead!
If you know me, you know that my all time favorite food is ice cream. During the few years that I could eat dairy, I ate ice cream nearly every day, so this was definitely the hardest food to give up. Finding dairy-free ice cream that compares to Wisconsin custard is a difficult task, so I thought I would have better luck making it myself. This may not be the same as custard, but it is a great alternative! AND it is much healthier 🙂 This ice cream is a MUST try. Check out the recipe below! Enjoy!!
Dairy-Free Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Makes 2-3 servings
1 can full-fat coconut milk
1/4 cup honey (or substitute granulated sugar)
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup chocolate, chopped
- Prepare by putting the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer the night before.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and cornstarch. Whisk until the cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining coconut milk, honey, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the saucepan. Continue to cook on medium heat for about 7 minutes or until the cream is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir occasionally to avoid boiling.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Pour into a container to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Then put in fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Pour mixture into the frozen freezer bowl, and churn in ice cream maker until you attain a consistency that resembles soft-serve ice cream.
- While the machine is still churning, add chopped chocolate. Churn until well combined.
- Scoop ice cream into a freezer safe container. Freeze overnight.
“He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.”
What a visual these verses provide. The image of God physically reaching down and pulling me away from the evil of this world is so special and comforting to me. Psalms 18:16-19 truly show that God is our protector.
Just as God saved David when he felt like he was drowning, He can also save us from drowning in deep waters and darkness. David knew that the power of the enemy was too strong for him, but he also knew that God could deliver Him. God pulled me out of my darkest days and gave me life. God delivered me just like He delivered David. He has been doing this for ages, and He will not stop now.
The end of verse 19 brought me to tears whenever I first read it. It says, “He rescued me because he delighted in me.” How special is that. God does not rescue us because he has to. He does it because He WANTS to. All because He DELIGHTS in us. He loves you SO much, more than you could ever imagine.
I pray that these verses bring you comfort. I pray you know that you are never alone. Your Savior loves you. He delights in you. He SO strongly desires to have a relationship with you. I encourage you to step into it. Let God take control. Surrender to Him. I know what it is like to feel as though you are drowning with enemies on all sides. I know what it is like to feel like everyone is against you. I know what it is like to feel alone. Our God is for us, He is NEVER against us.
We may be currently walking through extremely difficult times, but God is still with us. He has not forsaken us, and He never will.
I LOVE YOU ALL. Have an awesome week!!