Your favorite chocolate chip cookie… but better! These coconut oil chocolate chip cookies are vegan and healthy-ish as they are free of refined-sugar! These are naturally sweetened with coconut sugar and applesauce, so there is no need to feel guilty when you eat one too many 😉 They are soft and sweet, AKA the perfect combo!
I cannot tell you how many times I made these cookies during the COVID-19 lockdown. I spent many days baking, but this was the only commonly repeated recipe. All of my friends and family love these as well!
You may notice that there are many coconut oil options at grocery stores. There is refined solid, unrefined solid, liquid, spray, and more… A little overwhelming! For this recipe, you must use solid coconut oil in order to successfully cream it with the sugar. I recommend using unrefined coconut oil if you like the taste of coconut, and I recommend using refined if you do not like a strong coconut taste. You can also probably use butter (vegan or not) instead of coconut oil. I have not tested this though, so substitute at your own risk!
This recipe is a must try! It is my favorite easy classic dessert recipe. Try it out, and let me know what you think!! Recipe below.
Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
1/2 cup solid coconut oil (see notes above)
1.25 cups coconut sugar (sub brown or white sugar)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup canned coconut milk (thick part on top)
1/4 cup applesauce (sub mashed banana)
2.25 all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar until well combined and fluffy.
- Add vanilla, coconut milk, and applesauce. Beat on medium until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to wet mixture while beating on low speed. Beat until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips, and beat on low.
- Roll dough into balls. Chill in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Place balls onto a lined cookie sheet (11 on each sheet). Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
“Above all, be loving. This ties everything together perfectly.”
Colossians 3:14 (GW)
In this part of Colossians 3, the author is explaining how God’s chosen people should act and be. It starts by instructing us to clothe ourselves in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience (Col 3:12). However, the author ties it all together by explaining that being loving is the most important above all else.
The way we love others, God, and ourselves is so important. We are commanded to love one another. We are called to love others like Jesus loves us (John 13:34). He is a perfect example of perfect love. I so badly want to love others well. I want to be an example of Jesus’ love through the way that I love others.
How can you love others better? Talk to God about it! Ask Him to reveal the areas in which you can grow in the ways you love others.