These cookies are my Candy Cane Lane Brownies revamped!! These Chocolate Peppermint Cookies are dairy-free and spectacular… They are drier than your typical cookies, so they remind me of a thicker, yet more delicious, Thin Mint.
These were the first cookies I made for the cookie boxes that I gave to my family and friends. I was not sure how they would turn out, but I was SO pleasantly surprised!! If you are able to eat dairy, feel free to substitute the coconut oil for butter! A must try… Recipe Below!
Dairy-Free Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Makes About 24 Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup refined coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Optional toppings: 1 cup chocolate chips melted with 1 tbsp coconut oil & 1 crushed candy cane
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the coconut oil with both sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla extract, peppermint extract, egg, and egg yolk. Beat until smooth.
- While mixing on low, slowly add in the dry mixture. Mix until dough forms (add cold water if too crumbly).
- Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
- Dough will be crumbly, so form dough into balls by squeezing it in your hand or in a cookie scooper. Place balls on cookie sheet, and lightly flatten with your hand.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set. Cool on cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to cooling wrack.
- Optional: Once the cookies are completely cooled, melt 1 cup chocolate chips with 1 tbsp coconut oil. Dip half of each cookie in melted chocolate, and sprinkle crushed candy canes on top.