These mini carrot cake muffins are gluten-free, vegan, and refined sugar-free! They are a healthier twist on carrot cake cupcakes!! Carrot cake are my favorite, so I LOVED these 🙂
I used @callascleaneats (on Instagram) recipe, but I halved and modified it slightly according to the Plant over Processed challenge that I’m doing this month! The original recipe is on @callascleaneats Instagram feed in a reel, so check that out if you are interested! I also recommend checking out her other incredible recipes here! I will put the recipe I used below.. If you like carrot cake, these are a healthier option, but SO GOOD!!
Carrot Cake Muffins (Vegan & GF)
Makes 12 mini muffins or 6 normal muffins
- 1 cup oat flour (blend oats if needed)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 2 1/2 tbsp water — or sub 1 egg)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Optional frosting: 2 tbsp almond butter, 2 tsp maple syrup, splash of vanilla, pinch of salt, and dash of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray (I used @traderjoes coconut oil spray).
- Make the flax egg. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and water. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- In a medium bowl, stir to combine oat flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine mashed banana, flax egg, coconut sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Slowly add in the dry flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Fold in the grated carrots and walnuts.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (if using mini muffin tin — 30-35 minutes for normal muffin tin). Let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all frosting ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 15-25 seconds. Stir to combine. Frost muffins once cooled. Enjoy!